Friday, October 22, 2010

Dance History & Appreciation: History of Black Dance in America

This week we had the amazing Chester Whitmore come to class and lecture on the history of black dance in America.  Holy mackerel, this man is so full of information!  He named so many dances that I'd never heard of before, and he had video clips of the most amazing things.  We learned "balling the jack" in class, a popular dance from 1914.  I wish he taught a series of these dances named after people, places and things.  I know I want to learn the "black bottom."

Chester is an amazing teacher.  He's teaching tomorrow as part of a fundraiser.  I'm catching the 11am tap class before I go teach my beginner class.  This is a rare and wonderful opportunity, so catch one of his classes if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment