Tuesday, July 24, 2012
My First Corset Completed!
I made a mock-up from a commercial pattern and followed the instructions closely. I'll make adjustments to the next one I make for myself, making the front and rear a little longer. I'm creating a skirt to wear just beneath the edge of this corset, so I don't mind where it rides.
In the rear view, you can see the modesty panel I made. It's attached to both sides so I don't have to worry about wriggling a modesty panel into place to cover exposed skin, and I don't have to worry about eating one too many cheeseburgers. (I didn't adjust it in a mirror before taking the photo, and Andrew didn't know that it needed adjusting when I handed him my camera.) The grommets (size 0) are a tiny bit bigger than the ones on my corset by Anastasia von Teaserhausen, and the cord is a bit silkier than the cord on my other corset. This means it's easier to unlace and wriggle out of the corset, but it also means that it loosened between the time I put it on and we snapped the photo. I may replace the cord with something more like my other corset, but this color was just too awesome. I have a few months before I intend to use the corset in a number, giving me time to get awesome cord that matches and holds.
I learned a lot from this experience. For my next corset on my self-imposed internship, I'm making one for a man. I'm also tackling a couple more underbust corsets (including another one or two for myself) before moving onto overbust corsets.