Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Importance of Mentors

(from my regular people blog June 2, 2009)

I've had the good fortune to study with a number of successful and talented burlesque performers. There's a lot to be said about having good teachers. There's also a lot to be said about having good mentors. My mentors have always been open to answering any questions I had about the business, generously telling me what I wanted to know.

When I was in Boston, I had the pleasure of having lunch with Jo Boobs. I love Jo. She's had more influence over my artistic choices than I'm sure she knows. Back in 2007, I bought her e-book (soon to be a for-realsies book) after a burlesque pole class, and it sent me down the path. I love Jo. Love her. She's smart and has so much artistic integrity.

Anyway, there are things you learn about the world of burlesque (touring, competitions, choices) when you sit down with someone who knows. Those aren't things you typically get out of a class. Those candid conversations are validating and educational. Sit down with a mentor in your field if you get the chance. I felt so good about my pursuits after that lunch. Also, I love Jo.

1 comment:

  1. Jo IS fantastic and committed and I only know this because she's done a couple of volunteer turns for Save Coney Island that she really didn't need to do, and she did them incognito (once dressed as Village activist Jane Jacobs), so she got no glory for the work. She's got character, she has, which is rare and valuable.

    ReplyDelete