Thursday, March 4, 2010

How to Be a Pick-Up Girl

As a teacher, I encourage my students who are eager to perform to get their feet wet in the world of pick-up, or "panty wrangling" as my friend Vivienne Vermouth calls it.  It's a really great way to meet producers and other performers.  It also gives you the chance to get onstage, backstage, and familiar with the way a show runs without having to take off your clothes.  I checked Google for a simple job description for pick-up girls but couldn't easily fine one, so I'm providing one here.  (And the word 'girl' can easily be replaced by 'man.'  There are more chicks who I've seen do it than dudes.)

The pick-up girl dresses very cute, sassy, sexy (or they dress to fit the theme of the show).  If it's a themed show, the producer may provide a costume.  If you haven't been to a burlesque show and seen the pick-up girl in action, I highly recommend seeing a show before asking for/taking the job.  She's a stage assistant, picking up the discarded clothing after each performer in a very cute, sassy, sexy manner, ensuring each performer gets back every piece of clothing.  (When I did pick-up early in my burlesque career, I'd count the pieces the performers would take off so I knew how many pieces I had to take back to the dressing room.)  She sets up props for the performers before each act and clears the stage after each act.  She may have to sweep up glitter, wipe up water or food stuff from the stage between acts so there's always a safe (non-slippery) performance space.  She liases between the stage manager and the emcee in case there's a need to stall (like the CD isn't playing and the emcee needs to know it's time to vamp).  She may also do "shake down" to pass through the audience to collect tips, looking cute and holding out a hat, box, tray, etc. for those who want to give a little extra.

Specific producers will let you know what they need and want, but this is the general idea for the pick-up girl. Producer and "foul-mouthed godmother of L.A. burlesque" Lili VonSchtupp reminded me that the pick-up girl gets more stage time than almost anyone else and that she may provide some intermezzi (simply put, entertainment between acts).  It's a very important gig, and a wonderful way to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment