Friday, April 9, 2010

My Meditation

Everyone has their own little backstage ritual.  When I was younger and just did theatre, I'd listen to music and spend a great deal of time methodically applying my stage makeup.  When I started performing in the real world, the venues weren't as available for the lengthy makeup application, and all of these shows have more performers than mirror space.  I like to ground myself so I'm fully prepared for what is about to happen.

I don't really get nervous before I perform unless I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing (which has happened).  I consider myself a vessel for the words or music I'm about the share on the stage.  I am a means of communication.  Before I go on, I center myself and let the worries of day-to-day human existence fall away.  I have a little meditation before I take the stage, a knowingness that this is the only time I'll ever have this particular experience.  This is the only time the audience will have this exact experience with me.  Once I leave the stage, that shared experience is over.  I must enjoy every part of it because this same event will never happen again.

I remind myself how lucky I am to make money doing something I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment