Monday, June 11, 2012

Fabric Testing & a Spare Iron

We have two irons. The first one got a little funky when I tried an iron-on project and scorched some fragile elastic. My husband, the one who actually presses clothing regularly, bought a new iron just for regular clothes. We kept the old iron for projects so I wouldn't junk up a new iron with accidents.

I'm trying to follow directions and do things right in my old age, so I always test new fabrics on my sewing machine and with the project iron, particularly if they're not some poly-cotton blend. I pressed most of my latest project dress with a pressing cloth and the project iron, but the bust darts needed more attention. I tested the project iron directly on some spare fabric and it was fine at a low setting. I then ironed the center back seam to prepare for the zipper, and three of the four bust darts. All was fine until I hit one of the darts a second time and the iron made a couple tiny holes in the fabric. Either the iron got too hot or the surface snagged the taffeta. Whatever happened, I spent some time removing the front bodice piece this morning. Looks like I'll be cutting a new bodice front in the next few days. Good thing I'm not on a deadline.

The lesson here is to always test your fabric, keep a project iron on hand, and make sure the surface of that project iron isn't so scratchy that it will snag your fabric. Also order extra fabric when you buy online.

No comments:

Post a Comment