Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Final Reveal: Mr. Snapper Edition part 3

(Guest post by Mr. Snapper.)

Since last posting, I managed to pick up my Bat boots:


Funtasma brand “hero boots,” $50 from Halloween Town in Burbank. Vinyl, not the strongest sole in the world, but it has the right silhouette and length. They need to be navy blue as well, something I hope to take care of next weekend (if not before).

I hoped that my tights patterns would arrive in time to allow me to make them this weekend. No dice. So instead, I spent a little time on the utility belt. Here’s what it’s supposed to look like when it’s done:


From Osh I scored brass for the buckle. A little Dremel magic later, and here’s where I am:


A little rough, needs to be cleaned up and polished. The belt itself is supposed to be leather. I could buy leather. I found a yellow pelt (do you call it a pelt?) for $90 at Levine’s. A little too pale, but it would work. The only thing is, I don’t have $90 to spend. So I’m doing this on the cheap:


$9 worth of vinyl from Levine’s will work for now. When I have leisure time, I can go back and rebuild this item. Odds are, after making a ton of mistakes building it the first time, building it a second time should be a breeze.

Is it a cheat? Maybe. I’m making this to host a show, not to scale buildings while exchanging pleasantries with Sammy Davis, Jr.


It has to look good onstage, and I’m building on a budget. Ergo, corners will be cut, and vinyl will be used instead of leather. It’s not ideal, but it’s not an ideal world.

Total spent to date: $292 (including that $109 that On Stage Dancewear should be refunding any day now.) and approx. 4:30

No comments:

Post a Comment