Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chipping Away

I pride myself on being completely honest with my readers.  I'm struggling as an artist.  I remember a discussion in my college humanities class about how Michelangelo was trying to free the slaves from the marble.  While I'm not working with marble, I am working with a body that's not getting any younger and a mind that's in creative overdrive.

How does one strike a balance between artistry and athleticism?  I'm always studying some kind of dance technique or other.  I want to put all those skills to use when I confidently have those techniques down cold.  I want to reach the highest aesthetic I can with each piece.  I read an article in Dancespirit magazine about balancing artistry and athleticism.  It seems that most dancers and choreographers agree to use technique to the degree that it still serves the story in each piece.

The communication of the story or concept is the most important part.  When one doesn't achieve that communication successfully, it's time to regroup.  I'm focusing on my communication for my new act, what I want the audience to take from it, and molding the technique to that.  Hopefully my own marble will be as beautiful as Michelangelo's.

No comments:

Post a Comment