Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dancer Emergency Kit

Over my brief career so far as a professional dancer, I've found a handful of things useful to myself and others.  I've needed these things and/or have been asked by other dancers for these things on more than one occasion.  These are the top six things asked for in the dressing room:
  1. Safety pins.  The strap on my character shoe broke a second time during my last show.  I used a safety pin to fix the shoe before I danced.  Broken bra straps, busted zippers, torn dresses all benefit from a well-placed safety pin.
  2. Bobby pins.  Hair falls down, wigs need to be secured, hair accessories need to be attached.
  3. Hair spray.  This is something I always forget to carry with me and always seem to need.
  4. Lady supplies for when Mother Nature doesn't care about one's schedule.
  5. Eyelash glue.  It seems like the edges of my strip lashes always come up before I perform.
  6. Spirit gum or double sided tape.  These are both for pasties.  It's important to have secured pasties to comply with the rules of the venues.
I also recommend carrying bottled water.  Nothing hydrates quite like it and it's perfect for those times when the venue doesn't provide a drink ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment