Thursday, December 31, 2009

From 2009 to 2010

I've had a great second year as a professional burlesque performer.  Here are some highlights:
  • Fifty professional performances.  I got 60 under my belt in 2008, but I also performed in three plays this year, wrote a few short plays and directed a play.  Not too shabby for stage time.
  • Joined Striptease Symposium.  As a perpetual dance student and a performer of 28 years, I'm pleased to have the opportunity to help bring out the inner performer from the unsuspecting yet willing.  I helped teach tassel twirling to some ladies in Lancaster this year, some floor work to gals at our holiday party, and look forward to teaching the beginner session in 2010.
  • Created less new acts.  This may not seem like a highlight, but it is.  I saved money and refined ideas this year.  Last year I tackled seventeen new acts plus two group numbers, and three of those acts had big props.  This year I tackled nine new acts and revamped an act from 2008 twice to fit different themed shows.  Considerable savings.
  • Got my website and Snapper-only blog up!  I know officially own property on the web. :)
  • Performed at two festivals - Boston Burlesque Expo and New Orleans Burlesque Festival.
  • Did a little travel as a performer in Southern California, dancing in San Diego for Comic-Con the second year in a row, and bringing burlesque to Lancaster.
  • Danced at Dr. Sketchy's Las Vegas during Burlesque Hall of Fame reunion weekend and got some totally kickass art from it!  It was wonderful performing as part of the weekend.
  • More study.  I took ballet from January to December (and danced in the ballet recital) and tap during the fall.  I took a special workshop with Tigger! when he visited from New York.  I took workshops from legends April March in Boston and Tee Tee Red in New Orleans.  I had a nice sampling of classes in Boston from various performers, and I learned how to shake my ass from Kellita and more fan dance technique from Catherine D'Lish in new Orleans.  It was a great year for study.
  • Produced my own show.  In fact, I produced the Los Angeles Burlesque Hall of Fame benefit in May, then put up my for-profit Sassy, Classy Burlesque Revue in October and December.
  • Danced as a stripper stripper stripper at a topless joint in North Hollywood and had an absolute blast.
I'm excited about 2010.  I'm beginning my third year as a professional!  Here are some goals:
  • Performing in two or three festivals.  I really want to return to New Orleans because that was an absolute blast.  I'd also love to dance in Paris or London (if I get in and can afford to go).  I also hope to hit a festival or two as part of Kubrilesque.
  • Sharing my love with the South.  I plan to visit the Dallas area in May to teach and perform.  I'm also hoping to teach in Hot Springs in March (if I can secure a studio) and dance in Memphis that weekend (if I can get a gig).  I'm working on setting both up.
  • More dancing as a stripper stripper stripper.  I hope I get to return to Star Garden because that was sooooo fun.  I'm bringing a pole number to the next round.
  • More dance class.  If my schedule and finances permit, I'll be back in ballet and tap in February and back in pole class (if even for a single series) in January.  I'm very excited about this.
  • Cleaning out my closet.  I think I'm going to drop a couple numbers from my repertoire that are rarely performed and don't meet my growing standards.  I'm also going to set about repairing costumes I'm keeping and improving numbers I already perform.
  • More Sassy Classy.  I have six shows scheduled for 2010.  This will permit me the time I need to promote each show.  With only six shows on the calendar as a producer, I will still have the attention units needed to perform in other shows and continue with my other activities.
  • Some surprises full of awesomeness.  I don't want to spill the beans too soon, but my artist friend Sebastian and I have something up our sleeves.
2009 has been very good to me.  I appreciate the opportunities and guidance I've been given.  Thanks to you for your part in my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment