Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What It's Like Being a 'Naked Girl Reading'

Sunday night I was part of the Los Angeles premiere of Naked Girls Reading.  When I spoke to people about the event, they had a vague idea of how it worked.  There was this consideration that it was somehow more complicated than the name suggests.  It wasn't.  We were naked girls.  We read aloud to the audience.

Nudity is not foreign to me.  I've also been reading aloud since I was five, so this seemed like something I was born to do.  We had a comfortable set-up on the stage and plenty of beverages so we wouldn't be parched while reading.  It looked like we were in living room.  We took a couple breaks, but we all took turns reading aloud from various books, actively listening to one another when it was no longer our turn to read.  I enjoyed a naked outburst of laughter as Polly Peabody read her original short story based on the film Footloose.

I think the event is something of a novelty -- getting to go watch naked girls read to the audience.  It's a fun, aesthetic and moderately sexy storytime.  I look forward to the next event.

No comments:

Post a Comment