Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weary Bodies

Dancers put a lot of stress and strain on their instruments.  I know I get aches and pains here and there, often from not properly warming up or cooling down, but sometimes just from wear and tear.  Here's what I use to get up and make it through another day.
  • Chiropractor visits.  I started going to the chiropractor when I was sixteen after a car accident.  I started going to a chiropractor again two years ago when I injured my tailbone.  I go back every two or three months to get everything adjusted, particularly when I feel I'm so out of alignment it might effect my next performance (or when I have a break and can go before it gets worse).
  • Natural muscle balms.  I used Tiger Balm all the time when I took kung fu and when I learned heavy-duty tricks in pole class.  I prefer the original formula.  I'm currently using Burt's Bees Muscle Mend when I have tightness.  With all of the remedies, I stick with the natural stuff unless the pain is so bad I have to use medicine.
  • Heat and ice.  I use heat when I want an area to relax, like when I have a tight muscle.  Warm showers are great after a tough class.  I use ice when I want to decrease the blood flow or swelling in an area, like when I stub my toe.  I've had injuries that required the use of both, alternating twenty minutes of one with a break before twenty minutes of the other.
  • Epsom salt.  Dancer feet go through hell.  Epsom salt is wonderful in a bucket of warm water as a foot soak.  It's pretty inexpensive and alleviates a lot of foot discomfort.
  • Stretching.  The more something hurts, the lighter the stretch.  I was given some stretches by my chiropractor for my neck since I tend to work office jobs during the day.  Sometimes a gentle stretch will help the area in question gain a little more mobility, and sometimes that stretch remedies the situation entirely.
  • Vitamins and minerals.  I've gotten to know my body pretty well.  When I have a headache, I first try B1, salt and potassium as a remedy; I dehydrate easy and burn a lot of B1.  When I have muscle cramps, I take calcium magnesium tablets and potassium.  When I feel generally worn down, I pop some multivitamins and eat some veggies.
  • Wraps and braces.  We always had Ace bandages lying around when I was growing up.  They're great to have on hand.  Sometimes the tendons and ligaments just need a break after putting in a lot of work.  A wrap or brace is great for limiting movement so the area can recover.
  • Massage.  I used to go to a masseuse when I had shoulder pain from pole class.  Sports massages are awesome for that.  You can save money by gently massaging the injured area yourself (like your foot) or getting a friend to help you out (like when your back hurts).  The more it hurts, the lighter the touch.
  • Rest.  A long nap or a good night's sleep can work miracles.
Sometimes the pain doesn't respond to any of these things and I have to take aspirin.  If my injuries were too much to handle, I'd go to the doctor.  All of these remedies have worked well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment