Monday, January 2, 2012

From 2011 to 2012

This marks the completion of my fourth year as a professional burlesque performer.  Here's what I managed to get done this year:
  • 58 performances in 43 shows.  This is far less than 2010.  I focused more on quality than quantity.  I also did a nice chunk of travel, but I'll get to that later.  To date, that's 271 performances.
  • Taught a Brolesque session, choreography for the Burlesqueland show, Asstastic, Go All the Way, Burlesque Starter Kit, and oodles of private lessons.  I taught two full days of classes in my hometown of Hot Springs, Arkansas.  I also got to teach a few classes at the Great Burlesque Expo in Boston, and one class at Southwest Burlesque Showcase.
  • Created two major acts.  I made my "green wonder" costume (called this because it's green and I dance to Stevie Wonder) leading up to summer.  I created my Flower Duet fan dance for my Dallas appearance in January, then revamped the costume for my fall travel.  I did put together a few bar acts, but I didn't spend a great deal of time or money on them since they were for one show each.
  • Performed at three festivals - Southwest Burlesque Showcase, Great Burlesque Expo and Colorado Burlesque Festival.  I was also a sponsor for the first Memphis Burlesque Showcase since it took place three hours from my hometown; I want to encourage burlesque in my South.
  • Short touring hops.  I danced in Dallas and San Antonio, then did Dr. Sketchy's Denton in January.  I popped over to Vegas to do Live Burlesque in Las Vegas in March (Mr. Snapper's first out-of-state performance as a stripper).  I was the swing girl for a set of Naked Girls Reading, a ring girl at Lucha VaVoom, and danced two shows of Stripper's Holiday in Chicago.  I visited Arkansas twice, hitting Little Rock both times and Hot Springs on my last visit.
  • Yet more study than before.  I made my 100 classes.  I took classes at every festival that had them, and Mr. Snapper and I went to Burlycon.  I also went to Michelle L'amour's Stripper's Holiday to hone my Mega Costume act.  I took a variety of movement classes and costume classes over 2011.  I also took a crochet class and a jewelry basics class.
  • While not producing my own show, I co-produced my birthday show with Lili vonSchtupp.  I've also been contributing as show wife and performer for Rumpus Revue.
  • Met Richard Simmons.  I've blabbered on and on about how wonderful he is.  He's full of love and encouragement.  I plan on taking his classes as my schedule permits for as long as I can.
What's on the agenda for 2012?  Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Three or four festivals and some other states.  Arkansas has custody of me for a weekend in April (no Teaseorama for me) and in November.  I'll be at Dallas Burlesque Festival and Southwest Burlesque Showcase in February.  I'm hoping to add Tennessee and Oregon to my tour schedule.  Mr. Snapper and I are performing together in Albuquerque and in Arkansas.
  • Teaching a little more.  I was focused on travel more in 2011.  I may just have a few more L.A. classes in 2012.  I am working on my Pilates mat certification, so that might just pop onto the schedule.
  • Making my body a bit more slammin' with my new workout.  Still take dance classes but focusing on ballet, ballroom, and series that appeal to me.
  • Two more event costumes.
  • Stopping to smell the roses when I travel.  Things have been delightfully hectic for me when I've traveled, every minute booked with something.  It's been so jam-packed that I haven't been able to really take in any site seeing.  I want to do something touristy in each state I visit, because that's part of the joy of travel.
  • Making my house more of a home and less like a college student's design pad that was raped by a craft fair.  Seriously, my house is crazy with half-finished projects, random papers in boxes, bras hanging here and there, unused props gathering dust.  Right now I'm looking at one of Buster's selected teething pasties, a switchblade comb, the packing materials from my kindle, some random trim, a fishnet stocking, a Krampus mask, and a partly pilfered package of Sharpies -- all on my desk.  I took some time over the past two days making curtains for two rooms in my house.  I love being at home, but I need it to be less stressful to come and go.
I appreciate your support.  I'm in this for the long haul, so I hope to see you for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment