Friday, April 15, 2011

Speed Bumps

 "I'm not lazy, I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

Wait, that's not Jessica Rabbit's line; it's mine.  I haven't been getting as much done as I anticipated.  I'm not going to use this blog to unload all of my excuses.  Instead, I'm going to be open and honest with you, dear reader, so you know that I am human.

I'm not where I need to be with my Dance Class Challenge.  With teaching, touring, and a day job to help fund my rock & roll lifestyle, I haven't had the same freedom in my schedule to drop in on dance classes here and there.  I'm going to try to catch up on my trip to Boston and my intensive training in Chicago, but I'm going to have to figure out how to squeeze more dance classes into my already packed weekly schedule here in the real world.  I haven't worked out a solution yet.  I'm sure I'll figure something out when I'm done traveling in a month.

I'm also not where I expected to be with my costume construction for new acts.  I started plans for a new costume last fall, and I haven't been able to find the color materials I need to begin construction.  (Color is very important to me, and some things just can't be substituted.)  When I did my goals in December, I expected to have my aqua costume completed in March.  I've been hunting for the appropriate fabric for months and just found what I needed on the internet last week.  That's delayed construction until late May/early June.  The next costume in my queue is very mega, and it presents challenges for rigging and travel that have to be resolved in the planning/drafting stages.  Evie and I just sat down to sketch out possibilities for this costume last week, trying to figure out how to make it look good and have workable rigging.  I'm further along than I was, but I'm not doing any actual construction yet.

I hate not meeting targets I set for myself.  I'm going to build a regular dress over the next couple weeks so I feel like less of a costume slacker, even though it won't be a dress made for stripping.  I have been getting exercise with daily walks, crunches and push-ups as I can fit them in at my day job.  They're not dance classes, but at least I'm doing something.  What's really important is that you know that you, reader, are not alone in having speed bumps to delay progress in your own life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment