Friday, August 17, 2012

My Little (Work)Pony

I bought a second sewing machine for cheap on Amazon.  My fancy machine is a Brother, so I opted for the least expensive full-size machine because I could swap out presser feet with my fancy Brother.

I had several reasons for getting a second sewing machine.  First, I do a lot of sewing.  A lot of sewing.  I've wanted a sewing machine to keep at my day job for lunches when it's too hot or rainy to go on a walk, or for slow days when I've gotten all my work done and I would rather stay productive than thumb twiddle.  I can't do everything on this machine that I can do at home, but I can do straight stitches, zig zags, and buttonholes.  Good enough.

Second, I need a backup machine if I'm going to do more commercial sewing.  If my fancy machine needs service but I have a client who is waiting for a costume piece, I have to be able to get the work done.

Third, there are times when Andrew and I both have sewing projects.  Usually these are puppet projects or little Snapper sweatshop puppets for Crocodile Rock.  Andrew knows how to use a sewing machine, but the simpler models are easier for him to operate.  This little workhorse is perfect for the types of sewing projects he encounters.

This little sucker isn't as quiet as the other machine, but it works well.  I stitched part of an apron and another vintage repro swimsuit on it this morning.  Next week I'm going to finish the apron, put together a corset mock-up, and maybe even finish the swimsuit on it.  (Then I can work on my own costumes at home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment