Friday, October 16, 2009

Making a Triangle Bra

I created a pattern for my triangle bras last year when I had to have one for a number I did.  I made the pattern with an old manila folder so it will hold up because I know I'm going to make a number of these over time.  I drew the triangle based on the amount of coverage I wanted and I left an extra inch or so at the bottom for a channel for the underbust tie.  (I don't like permanently attaching ties to each side because I like versatility and sometimes wear my triangle bra so it ties in the front.)

I showed you the fabric I bought in yesterday's entry.  It's mesh and a bit stretchy.  For opacity, I used two layers of fabric for each cup.  The fabric was so stretchy that it was difficult to cut and get a decent seam allowance.  To solve that problem, I folded the fabric and drew the cup on one side.  I pinned it together so I had two layers and stitched on the line I drew.  I then trimmed the sides, folded them in and stitched again so the edge would be clean.

I wanted the bottom of this cup to be neat so I used bias tape to create the channel for the ties.  I usually fold the bottom edge under to create the channel but you can see the ties inside when I use mesh.  I had bias tape to match the bra so I used it as directed and made a neat channel that adds a smidge of extra support.  I'm attaching a tiny bit of bias tape at the top of each cup so my ties are sturdy and the mesh doesn't get damaged from the torque of my breasts.

The rhinestones follow my rendering.  I want lots of sparkle but the bra isn't sturdy enough to support being fully encrusted with rhinestones.  That's the one drawback to lightweight fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment