Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Time With Twyla Tharp

I went to a workshop at USC yesterday with Twyla Tharp.  Her book, The Creative Habit, was part of the reason me and my husband bailed from the stale acting class we were taking to pursue actual acting work.  I was excited to have the opportunity to hear her speak.  When we got there, I found out it was a problem solving workshop of sorts; people would throw out their creative problems and she would give feedback.  The questions I had were answered when she addressed other people, so I didn't have the need to raise my hand.

Here are some key things from Twyla, all applicable to burlesque:
  • Don't expect people to pay while you're learning your lessons.
  • Figure out your strengths and interests.  Cut your ambition in half for your first venture.
  • Find a way to accommodate what your body will do.
  • Where have you been?  What have you learned.
  • If you're "kind of" about it, you're not going to expose yourself the way you should.
  • Really want to do it or don't bother.
  • You'll only get back what you put in.
Having read her book and applied parts to life, the workshop was very validating.  Of course, the best part for me was at the end when I carried my well-loved hardcover book up for her to sign.  I gave her my name, handed her the book and pen and said, "I'm a burlesque dancer."  Twyla said, "Good girl."  That was some incredible and unexpected validation from someone I really admire.

1 comment:

  1. "Good girl" from Twyla Tharp is better than a blessing from the Pope.

    Everything she said is applicable to nearly everything in life. Its funny how advice from the great ones has a certain universality to it.

    ReplyDelete