Saturday, November 13, 2010

November 10 Challenge: Absolute Beginner Tap

Class 4 of 10:  I've been on the mailing list of Hillary Ayn Ryan since around 2006.  I wanted to take her tap session in the Valley when I worked there, but it never fit my schedule.  I had a tap sampling in college, took a few more months of tap when I lived in St. Louis, and took a semester of tap at LACC.  I had a flash mob rehearsal at Evolution at 11:30am today, so Hillary's absolute beginner class was perfect for my schedule.

This is a great beginner class, and it's great for people who haven't been in their tap shoes in a while.  I dropped in on the second class of a six-week series and was able to follow fairly well.  She offers shoe rental if you don't own your own tap shoes.  If my schedule will permit me to visit the Valley for four more Saturday mornings, I'll finish out the series to get the rest of the choreography.

Hillary teaches Broadway style tap -- very much in the style of musical theatre.  Chester and my tap teacher from LACC both teach rhythm tap -- a down, dirty, nitty-gritty style that's closer to roots of tap.  I find myself drawn more to rhythm tap, but the basic steps are the same.  I recommend you check out Hillary's class if you're interested in tap and in the Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment