Sunday, November 7, 2010

November 10 Challenge: Musical Theatre Jazz With Fosse

Class 2 of 10:  I'm a Fosse fan.  I read a book about his works by one of his former dancers, and I love his choreography and direction.  When I saw this class started at Studio A, I had to jump on the chance to take it.  It's listed as an advanced level class, and I am not an advanced jazz student.  I emailed instructor Chryssie Whitehead ahead of time so I wouldn't show up and mess up the flow of the class.

The warm-up was great and I did pick up some new technique, but I think this class was a bit more challenging than I need at this point.  I have some dance vocabulary from ballet, tap and belly, but I need more vocabulary and drilling of new techniques.  This class is best for students who pick up choreography very quickly.  I knew going into it that it was listed as an advanced class, and my good buddy Evie Lovelle and I worked to keep up.  Chryssie is a very cute and energetic instructor, but I need a class with more drilling of individual steps right now.

What I did learn: 1) a really great move I can use in the odd beats of an eight-count to shake things up; 2) Fosse isolations are very isolated (so nothing else moves at all); and 3) strutting with my toes turned in creates interesting movement in my hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment