Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dance Class Challenge: 80/100 - Hip Hop 4 of 4

For my final hip hop class in this series, I convinced Evie to be part of my posse.  Remember, Evie and I were served nearly one year ago.  I knew we wouldn't get served in this class, even if she laughed the entire class.  I also dragged her along because she's a great workout partner, and she's been in enough dance class with me to know what I'm talking about when I say the teacher doesn't start on the one.

When I was a girl and we first had segregated physical education classes, I remember the girls teaching one another the Running Man in the locker room one day when we were supposed to be changing.  I watched and considered learning, somehow sensing it would be useful to know for survival later in life.  I ignored my Spidey sense, threw on my leather jacket, and walked cool all the way out of the gym.

Last night the Running Man appeared in our warm up.  I guess that's something I should've taken the time to learn over half a lifetime ago.  Since it was in the warm up, there was no explanation of how to do it; we were just supposed to know it.  Oops.  I thought I'd get remedial Running Man lessons in the series since it is hip hop for beginners.

Like the last hip hop class I attended (pre-cooties), I laughed, had fun and burned calories.  I can't say I'd recommend this as a series since the weekly content doesn't build.  Each class is self-contained.  It's fine for a workout, but it's not a class for learning technique you can mix and match to apply in the real world.

I think if Evie and I got served on the street we'd look like a couple ridiculous cheerleaders after last night's combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment