Sunday, January 3, 2010

Momma's Got a Brand New Bag

I have a common problem as a burlesque dancer -- storage space.  I have some beautiful new feather fans and I want to keep them intact and beautiful.  (I promise I'll share photos of the fans soon.)  Some dancers store their fans in FedEx triangle boxes, but the feathers get agitated every time they're taken out of the box because the feathers are brushed backwards.  Others use fans where the feathers can be removed and stored in bags within boxes, but those kinds of fans don't work well for me.

I had to figure out a way to store the fans in such a way that the feathers didn't get agitated and wonky every time I put the fans away or removed them from their case.  I decided to make two fabric bags, one for each fan.  The bags can be opened at both ends and have drawstrings with toggles to keep them closed.  I close the bottom end, drop the fan in base first, close the top end and hang the bag by the top drawstring.  I open the bottom drawstring to take out the fan, then flip the bag over to replace the fan -- base first -- when I'm done.  Because the fans are so large, each one has a bag.  I cut the bags so they're slightly longer than the fans and wide enough to caress the feathers.  These bags are amazing, and they're simple and economical storage method for some very expensive tools.

2 comments:

  1. That's how I store my fans too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds! I used to hang the bags from a shelving unit in my home office until we got a new puppy. He doesn't quite understand he's a showgirl's dog yet. He would nibble on the ends of the bags and try to attack the feathers when I took out the fans~

    ReplyDelete