Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why Classic?

I have a few classic numbers in my repertoire, and I often get booked for shows just because I have those classic numbers.  I do a lot of neo-burlesque and comedic numbers to modern music, but the show I produce is classic burlesque.  Since I book newer performers, I insist they do a classic number, even if it takes a while for them to prepare.

So why do I produce a classic show and insist people fit my theme to get booked?  There's a long, wonderful history to this art form.  It demands respect and study.  It's important to know your history, and classic burlesque is our history.  It takes work.  I like seeing that dancers have done due diligence for the genre.

It also seems easier to get booked for private parties with classic numbers.  Classic burlesque seems to be what comes to mind when a layman hears the term 'burlesque.'  I've danced more private parties with my classic numbers than with the newer stuff.  It's important for every dancer to have at least one classic number just for these opportunities.

And that's why I'm so uppity about classic burlesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment