Sunday, January 24, 2010

Raising the Bar

It's really important to watch burlesque, especially as a professional burlesque performer.  You can see what you like, what you don't like, and it really helps you develop aesthetic judgment.  That, and seeing other people "bring it" will raise the bar for you as an artist.

Last night was the first time I saw Eliza Bane perform.  She's very tall and elegant, but her costume took my breath away.  She's a costume designer, so it made sense that her costume would be amazing.  The time, money and care that went into her costume was phenomenal.  Every layer was even more incredible than the last.  She was dripping with decadence.  As I watched her from offstage, I was so inspired to invest more time, creativity and money into my next big costume because she really raised the bar.  Holy crap!

(Of course, my next big costume is going to be such a project that I have to work on one piece at a time.  This week I'm getting the boa and maybe the gloves.  The panties will be next.)

No comments:

Post a Comment