Sunday, September 27, 2009

Legends Class: Panel Skirts

About two weeks ago today, I took a panel skirt class from burlesque legend Tee Tee Red.  There were a few numbers at the festival that incorporated panel skirts.  I've been interested in learning how to perform with a panel skirt since I first saw one in a book.  Panel skirts also have that Princess Leia Return of the Jedi appeal.

There were so many things I didn't know about panel skirts before I took the class.  I learned how to properly wear them, how they should be constructed and how to use them for maximum effect.  It was an incredible class.  I learned a lot in the hour we had.  I've started working on a panel skirt number for my December burlesque show.

What I learned from Tee Tee Red were things I could probably never find in a book or video currently on the market.  There's an incredible oral history available only through burlesque legends that needs to be learned by the new generation so we can appreciate our artistic lineage and pass it down to the next generation.  I hope to become the kind of performer that is teaching people about the neo-burlesque movement when she's in her seventies.

No comments:

Post a Comment