Wednesday, December 1, 2010

November 10 Challenge: Swing I & the Half Class

Class 7 of 10:  Last night was my fourth swing class.  I'm not counting my steps as much, my dance frame is better and I'm not trying to back lead as frequently.  Last night we worked on our triple step basic and I partnered with two students I hadn't before.  It was lots of fun, and I'm sad that I have to miss next week but I have a gig.

Class 7.5 of 10:  I ran out of time to do my 10 classes this month, so I decided to work with a dance instructional video Monday night to boost my count.  I pulled out a beta video from when I was part of the Flirty Girls infomercial test group four years ago.  (I still haven't received my videos for my participation and it's been four years with emails going to the production company from several of the 30 women who participated in the Los Angeles test group.)  I put on the chair dance video with choreography I learned in 2006.  What I noticed was that as a dancer I need choreography given by counts and not by the lyrics.  I can follow when lyrics match choreographed counts, but I need the counts to match the duration of the move.  If a leg extension takes place over six beats, don't count to three or four when you're trying to teach me the move.  I'm very aware of that as a teacher and choreographer, and it makes me nuts as a dancer.  I could only deal with 45 minutes of the video, which is why I'm only counting this as a half class.

No comments:

Post a Comment