Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Biscuits & Gravy Tour: John Mayer Philosophy in Dallas

"Flower Duet" shot by Ben Britt
"Flower Duet" shot by Ben Britt
It's no big secret that I love John Mayer and think so highly of his live performance skills that I've seen him in concert ten times and am aching for him to go back on tour.  There's something wonderful that he's done in every one of those ten concerts; he's acknowledged his audience.  He always gives a shout-out to the people in the crappy seats, the cheapest seats available for people who want the experience but don't have the cash to get closer.  I remember him saying at one of the four shows I've seen at Verizon Amphitheater in Irvine, "I see you there on the lawn!"  It's absolutely beautiful to witness the connection between him and that crowd at that moment in every concert.

"Is You Is Or Is You Ain't, My Baby" shot by Ben Britt


I tested out my John Mayer philosophy, A.K.A. "I see you there on the lawn," at Trees in Dallas.  I try dancing as close to the front of the stage as possible anyway so I'm more connected to the audience.  At Trees I was able to see faces in the back of the venue and on the balcony.  It was wonderful.  I tried to acknowledge the people in the back as well as the people in the front during my numbers.  I think it paid off.  I felt so deeply connected to my audience.  I did the same thing at Star Garden last night for Letter Follies.  It feels amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment