Monday, September 1, 2014

Sewing September - Day 1

September is National Sewing Month, and I'm challenging myself to sew on something every day. (Yeah, like that's a stretch.) I don't vow to complete a project a day, but I will spend time sewing on some project or other every day. If you'd like to join me in this challenge but don't know where to start, I'll be sharing my projects as I go. I can also recommend simple projects and ideas so you can succeed with this challenge. Email me or comment on any post if you need help. :)

Good for beginners, but read the instructions first.
Today I cut two cardigans: one in aqua and one in gray. One has long sleeves and the other mid-length. The pattern is McCall's M6084 1-hour cardigan. It took me just over two hours, and here's why:
  1. I had to serge the exposed interior edges. I have a serger so I have no excuse not to make the garment look as professional as possible.
  2. I had to topstitch every hem. I have the know-how so I have no excuse not to make the garment look as professional as possible.
  3. I didn't change my needle to one made for jersey/knits. I knew I should have so I had no excuse not to change the needle. I thought I'd give it a shot without, and that's why some stitches are incredibly short and others are the correct size on the seams. The fabric didn't move along as neatly as it should have, and that's because I was feeling lazy and experimental. I'm changing the needle for the next cardigan.
  4. The fabric is very drapey and is a challenge to keep flat while stitching. I had to pick out a couple accidental tucks. If I had a recessed sewing table, that wouldn't be such an issue.
You can see the serging and the uneven topstitching!
I'm pleased with how the cardigan turned out. It's perfect for backstage in the winter, not too hot and appropriate as a cover-up to step into the public eye.

Long enough to cover a naked butt!
I cut some headbands from the knit fabrics when I cut the cardigans so I'll have a couple quickie projects this month. I also took the opportunity to stitch up some raveling edges on a grocery tote.

I have plans to make two corsets, another cardigan, a fancy storage bag, a couple hacked t-shirts, and a romper. I may also get some squares for the dog quilt completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment