Friday, October 21, 2011

BurlyCon 2011: Panel - Taking Your Show on the Road

I do a little bit of touring - just enough to get a taste of the road, meet new people and make new friends while maintaining my home life. There are more places I'd like to visit (and revisit) in a year, but there are significant financial hurdles to overcome to survive off touring alone.

One major point that I took from the panel was to get as much sleep on the road as I can. When I travel, I'm working from dawn until 1 or 2 the following morning. I have to promote, stay fresh to teach/travel, perform, gladhand fans, remember names, and make sure I'm prepared to get up and do it again the next day. It is fun to go out and party with the locals, but they don't have to get up early the next morning for another high stress, high activity day away from home. I do nap on the plane, but I need to be sure I rest.

Another really great tip was to get to know the locals and make friends with people in other towns. If you want to tour, apply to festivals and meet people. I love meeting people at festivals and have booked some cool stuff through those people.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment