Thursday, October 20, 2011

BurlyCon 2011: Shimmying Up the BQ Ladder with Darlinda Just Darlinda

My first class of my first BurlyCon! Darlinda's class was full of practical advice for newer performers (good stuff for the older set as well). It was also full of students; I had to sit on the floor against the back wall because all the seats, counters, and wall space by the door were taken.

While I'm not going to give away the farm (i.e., her livelihood by means of divulging all of her class content), I will share a few things I learned.

First, Darlinda recommends against picking fights with other troupes in your town. I agree. It's better to work together to cultivate a stronger community and fanbase. Working together would make it easier to put on bigger events and cross-promote.

Second, Darlinda said to be sure your web presence isn't larger than your stage presence. Makes sense. You don't want your audience to be disappointed that you're not the big shit you pretend to be on the interwebs.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment